Director of Development
LINK Houston is a non-profit organization advocating for a robust and equitable transportation network so that all people can reach opportunity. We envision a world in which all people in Houston can easily access not only jobs, but also educational experiences, medical appointments, grocery stores, parks and greenspaces, and other important destinations, regardless of mode of transportation. We move ideas into action through community engagement, research, and shaping public policy. Through our advocacy activities, we specifically aim to ensure quality mobility options; improve transportation access to affordable housing; and keep communities united in the face of highway and other transportation infrastructure developments. Across our work, LINK Houston maintains a focus on equity and climate justice in the processes and outcomes of transportation-related decisions.
Specific Responsibilities and Reporting Relationship
We seek a highly qualified professional whose values align with the organization’s:
- Commitment to transportation equity, accessibility, diversity, inclusion, and climate justice.
- Enthusiasm for pursuing equitable transportation and environmentally-just infrastructure for all.
- Personal, lived experience with multi-modal transportation options other than driving alone.
LINK Houston is seeking a dynamic and experienced individual to join our team as the Director of Development. The successful candidate will play a pivotal role in advancing our mission by developing and implementing comprehensive fundraising strategies to diversify revenue streams, meet annual fundraising goals, and support the long-term sustainability of the organization. The Director of Development will focus on building and sustaining relationships with individual and corporate donors, creating and overseeing a robust giving program, supporting grant research and drafting activities, managing fundraising events, and ensuring effective board giving and getting. This role reports to the Executive Director and collaborates closely with the entire LINK Houston team.
Individual and Corporate Giving Program
- Create and implement a development plan for individual and corporate fundraising efforts.
- Cultivate and steward relationships with current and prospective donors to secure financial support.
- Design and execute campaigns and initiatives to engage and retain donors.
- Collaborate with the Director of Communications to ensure fundraising materials align with organizational messaging.
- Manage gift processing, acknowledgments, and reporting, and ensure that they are reconciled with accounting records.
Donor Relationship Cultivation and Management
- Build and maintain strong relationships with donors through effective communication and engagement strategies.
- Strategically manage board giving and getting, working closely with board members to engage them in fundraising activities to achieve fundraising goals.
- Research and serve as the first point of contact for potential individual and corporate donors.
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date donor records, track fundraising progress, and generate reports to assess and improve fundraising strategies.
- Collaborate with the Executive Director and staff to identify opportunities for donor involvement and recognition.
- Plan, coordinate, and execute fundraising events, including but not limited to LINK Houston’s signature event, donor recognition opportunities, and community fundraising activities.
- Manage event logistics, including venue selection, catering, and program coordination in collaboration with the leadership team.
- Collaborate with the Director of Communications to promote events and engage participants.
Grant Research and Drafting
- Support the Deputy Executive Director in researching potential grant opportunities aligned with LINK Houston’s mission and programs.
- Track proposal and deliverable deadlines.
- Assist in the drafting of grant proposals and reports, ensuring accuracy and compliance.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and Skills
- Experience (three to five years) of successful fundraising, particularly in individual and corporate giving. Demonstrated experience fundraising for advocacy-focused nonprofit organizations preferred.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with experience in grant writing.
- Proficient in CRM and fundraising technology. (e.g., EveryAction, Salesforce, etc.)
- Familiarity with the non-profit advocacy sector, transportation issues, or social justice is required.
- Knowledge about the local, state, and national foundation landscape a plus.
- Strong relationship-building skills with the ability to engage a diverse range of stakeholders.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a collaborative team.
The Director of Development will demonstrate competencies in the development and implementation of an organizational individual and corporate donation program, establishing and managing relationships with current and potential donors, effective communication with a variety of audiences including the LINK Houston Board of Directors, and managing time and activities. They will also be comfortable working independently, including proactively identifying funding opportunities that align with LINK Houston’s mission and priorities.
609 Main St. FL 25
Houston, TX 77002
- Normal business hours: Monday – Friday, 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM. This role requires occasional work outside of regular business hours on nights and weekends to support a variety of fundraising activities. ***subject to change***
- In coordination with management, a flexible schedule is encouraged to maintain a healthy work life balance.
- Travel: Occasional travel may be required.
- Telework: LINK Houston is a semi-remote organization. Employees may be required to report to the office on specific days or for specific periods. ***subject to change***
Salary and Benefits
The Director of Development is a full-time employee with access to the benefits described in the LINK Houston Employee Handbook, including:
- Healthcare insurance for the employee with 80% of the basic insurance costs paid by LINK Houston.
- Dental, vision, life, short-term, and long-term disability insurance for the employee with 100% of the basic insurance costs paid by LINK Houston.
- Sixteen (16) holidays annually, including two (2) floating holidays and five (5) winter break days in December.
- Initial twenty (20) days (160 hours) of paid time off with an accrual rate of 6.15 hours per pay period.
- Simple IRA/retirement available with an employer match of 2% or as stated in the company program.
- METRO fare and Bikeshare membership for commuting and transportation to/from engagements on behalf of LINK Houston.
- Professional development opportunities.
- Cell phone reimbursement of $75 per month.
The salary range for the Director of Development is $100,000 to $110,000. Applicants must submit a cover letter, resume, and writing sample as a single PDF file to email@example.com. Please list “Director of Development Application – Last Name” on the subject line. No phone calls. This position is open until filled.
DIVERSITY, EQUITY, INCLUSION & EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
LINK Houston is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status. LINK Houston centers diversity, equity, and inclusion in its internal and external work and practices.