Part-time position, mostly evenings and weekends
$15 per hour, up to 16 hours per week
LINK Houston is a non-profit organization advocating for a robust and equitable transportation network so that all people can reach opportunity. We envision a world in which all people in Houston can easily access not only jobs, but also educational experiences, medical appointments, grocery stores, parks and greenspaces, and other important destinations, regardless of their mode of transportation. We move ideas into action through community engagement, research, and shaping public policy. Through our advocacy activities, we specifically aim to improve the accessibility, frequency, reliability and availability of the public transit network; expand safe pedestrian and bicycle infrastructure; and mitigate adverse impacts of transportation infrastructure.
LINK Houston seeks up to six persons to serve as Community Engagement Specialists. These part-time positions offer up to 16 hours of paid work per week. Most of this work will be concentrated on evenings during the weekdays and mornings of the weekends at various locations.
The Community Engagement Specialist reports directly to the Executive Director and works closely with the Director of Community Affairs. The Community Engagement Specialist will be responsible for listening to community needs and priorities regarding transportation issues; sharing information regarding civic engagement opportunities; and supporting communities as they prepare their advocacy efforts.
- Identify, attend, and listen to interests and concerns regarding transportation at community meetings, such as for City of Houston Super Neighborhoods, civic clubs, chambers of commerce, and faith-based groups;
- Register and set-up information tables at festivals, health fairs, or other community events;
- Staff LINK Houston events;
- Canvass door-to-door with information on upcoming events or civic actions;
- Prepare, communicate, and distribute information regarding public meetings, hearings, town halls, or other opportunities for civic engagement; and
- Collaborate with LINK Houston staff to prepare and provide information and data to further the community’s advocacy efforts on transportation issues.
- A strong commitment and enthusiasm for using all forms of transportation;
- Ability to plan and execute travel to meetings using alternative transportation means;
- Clear, effective oral and written communication skills;
- Good and tactful judgment, professionalism, and a respectful demeanor when working with a diverse array of community members, government officials, volunteers, and colleagues;
- Self-initiative and ability to carry out work independently; and
- Ability to cooperate and collaborate with a team.
- Preferred ability to speak Spanish or another language used in Houston.
LINK Houston is equal opportunity employer. We encourage all interested applicants to apply.
Email a cover letter and resume to: info@LINKhouston.org with “Community Engagement Specialist” in the subject line. This posting will remain open until the position is filled.